Thursday, June 27, 2013

A note on traveling alone

Last night, the waitress sat me at the front table, right in the front door, as I sat by my lonesome to eat dinner. The Painted Cabernet just called to confirm that I was by myself for seating arrangement purposes. The Conductor at the Old Sacramento Railroad was taken aback that I had only one ticket. The waitress at 58 Degrees seemed surprised to only have one to serve. The woman at the desk when I checked in said, "Will one room key be enough?" although her's might have been a way to make sure I wasn't sneaking in a second person.

While there have been a couple times on this trip that I wished I had someone with me, I've also enjoyed the freedom that traveling alone has given me. I get to do what I want when I want. I slept in till 8:00 today. I didn't have to share the shower. I wandered Sacramento and changed my route and my plans three times on Sunday. I can be indecisive about dinner and not feel guilty.

This isn't to say I love traveling alone. It is to say that when the people see me alone and are all surprised and pitying, it makes me laugh a little on the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment