Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Explanation of what is going on here.

So, most of you already know what's up, but those that don't: it's actually pretty straightforward.

I got to design my own travel independent study class for Chatham. I knew that I wanted to ride trains places, and my original plan had been to take a month-long trip around the US--Atlanta, New Orleans, El Paso, LA, The Grand Canyon, Chicago, then home. It was going to be a lot. Amtrak offers special tickets, but still, it was going to be a long trip. Exciting, but long, especially since I am back in Pittsburgh for the first two weeks of August for more Chatham classes.

Then my friend Rachel moved to California.

Amtrak has a special pass that lets you go to 7 stops within 21 days for only $159 (to give you an idea, that was pretty much the price of my ticket from San Francisco to Santa Barbara. So that's an awesome deal). Making San Francisco (which I've apparently been spelling wrong this ENTIRE TIME) my home base, I'm going to go to Sacramento for a weekend (this upcoming one, actually), Santa Barbara for a few days next week, and Napa Valley a few other days next week. In between it all, I'll be exploring San Francisco.

I'm doing all of this with a focus on trains; trains are such a cool way to travel, and so few people actually use them. I have some books to read--I just go Murder on the Orient Express, and Strangers on a Train, as well as a few memoirs and informational books--while I'm doing this all, so I'll be peppering in fun stuff from all of that as well. Each city I chose has a train something or other; Sacramento has the California State Railroad Museum, for example. Rachel and I are doing a Napa Valley Wine Train tour.  I'm taking a sleeper car home from Santa Barbara.

So overall, this is what is happening. Follow along, don't follow along, whatever makes you happy. :) I'll be trying to tell what I do each day, but I don't promise that my posts will always be awesome and coherent (see last post; I'm really kind of out of it right now). Have a great day!

Bethie


No comments:

Post a Comment